Biotin Supplements: What You Should Know
Also known as vitamin B7, biotin is abundantly found in food, such as eggs, bananas, and soybeans. It is a very essential part of the enzymes that are present in the body as it helps with the breakdown of food substances like fats and carbohydrates. Biotin deficiency is usually very rare, but if your body doesn’t get the daily dose of biotin, which is 30 micrograms every day, it can lead to hair thinning, red rashes on the face, and even hair loss. In today’s article, we are here to tell you everything you must know about biotin supplements. Take a look.
What Is Biotin?
As mentioned earlier, biotin is also known as vitamin B7 and it is a part of the B vitamins. It is an essential vitamin that helps with the metabolic process of converting carbs, fats, and protein into energy.
However, biotin can also be vital when it comes to regulating your metabolism. It is involved in essential metabolic pathways including gluconeogenesis, fatty acid synthesis, and amino acid catabolism where it acts as an artificial group for pyruvate carboxylase, propionyl-CoA carboxylase, beta-methylcrotonyl-CoA carboxylase, and acetyl-CoA carboxylase. Biotin then regulates the catabolic enzyme propionyl-CoA carboxylase.
But biotin is not produced in the body and since it is a water-soluble compound, it is not stored in any part of the body. However, the bacteria present in the gut can produce biotin.
Why You Need Biotin
Your body requires biotin for proper functioning. So, when you consume foods rich in biotin, it will help turn fats, carbohydrates, and protein into energy. Taking biotin supplements can help rectify any biotin deficiency your body may be suffering from.
One of the major advantages of taking biotin supplements is that it aids hair growth. In fact, there are a few studies that show how taking biotin supplements could stimulate the growth of new hair in people suffering from alopecia, which is a condition that causes severe hair loss.
It was also seen that when people who are experiencing temporary loss of hair start consuming the right dosage of biotin, the hair growth significantly improves in just 90 days. Some of the other possible biotin benefits include;
- It can help you get rid of brittle nails and toenails and make them stronger
- It can help combat your blood sugar levels and help tackle diabetes
- It can help you get rid of the diabetic nerve pain
- It can be good for people suffering from Multiple Sclerosis as it can curb some symptoms of the disease
The biotin requirement per day is 30 micrograms.
What Is A Biotin Supplement?
Biotin supplements help fulfill the daily biotin requirements and are available in the form of tablets, capsules, and powder. Just like you take any other vitamin tablet, you must consume biotin the same way every day. Biotin supplements don’t interfere with your everyday life or make you drowsy. There are usually no side effects when you consume the right dosage of biotin. For instance, if you are taking biotin tablets, you must always check how many biotin tablets per day and only take the recommended amount. Today, you will also find vegan and natural biotin supplements available in the market. Usually, the biotin tablet dosage of Plix Life’s Flaunt Your Hair – World’s First Biotin Effervescent With 500,000 mcg Sesbania (Natural Biotin). is between 1-2 tablets per day.
How do I know if the biotin supplement is working?
When you first start taking a biotin supplement, it will take a couple of weeks for you to notice the difference. At first, you will see how your hair fall has gone down significantly. But it is important to be patient as it will at least take a couple of months for you to see any major changes.
By the first month, you will notice a healthier scalp. If you were suffering from a flaky or itchy scalp, you will now notice a clean scalp. The excess oiliness of the hair will also go down and your hair will feel healthy. If you were someone who was shedding a lot of hair, you will notice how your hair fall has gone down significantly. And overall, you will notice strong hair.
By the second month, the hair fall that was still prevailing would have stopped. Your scalp will feel healthier than before and you will notice baby hair because new growth has started.
By the third month, your hair will look shiny, you will notice growth and it will be healthier than ever!
When Should You Take Biotin Supplements?
If you are wondering when you must take biotin supplements every day, the best time is in the morning. Always take it on an empty stomach at least an hour before eating. However, if you have already eaten, then you must take biotin after 2 hours. Always make sure you take biotin around the same time every day to stay on track. However, if you miss taking your supplement, do take extra the next day. Only take the daily recommended amount and nothing more.
How Much Biotin Do You Need?
- Children from birth up to the age of 3 – 10 – 20 micrograms every day
- Children between the ages of 4 to 6 years – 25 micrograms every day
- Children between the ages of 7 to 10 years – 30 micrograms every day
- Adults and teenagers – 30 to 100 micrograms every day
At What Age You Must Start Biotin Supplements?
If anyone below the age of 25 is suffering from a biotin deficiency. It is important to consult the doctor for the same. Some of the symptoms of biotin deficiency include;
- Skin rashes
- Hair loss
- Thinning of hair
- Brittle nails
When you notice any of these symptoms in children or teenagers, you must consult the doctor. They will guide you with the right course of action. However, if you are someone who has reached the age of 25 and notices dull lifeless hair and wants to make it healthy again, you can start using biotin supplements. But along with biotin supplements, you must also improve your lifestyle for it to work. This includes;
- Eating a balanced diet every day
- Eating more fruits and vegetables
- You must reduce your intake of caffeine and alcohol
- If you are someone who smokes, it is important to quit
- You must exercise every day, even if it just walking for 15 minutes
- Always use the right hair care products that are chemical free
- Try to avoid using dryers or straighteners on your hair too often as they can have damaging effects
Where Should You Store Your Biotin Supplement?
Always store your biotin supplement in a tight and closed container at room temperature. Always keep it away from heat, direct light, and moisture. It is important to not refrigerate the biotin supplement and keep it from freezing. It should always be kept out of reach from children and make sure you always keep an eye on the expiry date.
Things To Keep In Mind Before You Take Biotin Supplements
- Always make sure you are not allergic to biotin before you start taking the supplements
- If you are suffering from kidney disease, have had stomach surgery, or are someone who smokes, always talk to your doctor
- If you are pregnant or nursing then you must ask your doctor before you start taking biotin
- You must not give biotin supplements to a child without a doctor’s okay
- Since biotin is water-soluble, you cannot really overdose, but if you have taken extra, talk to your doctor
- You must talk to your doctor if you take carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, or primidone as you must not mix it with biotin
Can You Get Biotin From Natural Food Sources
Yes, you can get biotin from natural food sources too, but to ensure you receive the right amount every day, you must switch to supplements. However, some biotin-rich foods include;
- Egg: One whole egg that’s cooked contains 10 micrograms of biotin
- Peanuts: 28 grams of peanuts contain 5 micrograms of biotin
- Whole soybeans: 100 grams of soybeans contains 19 micrograms of biotin
- Chicken liver: 75 grams of chicken liver contains 138 micrograms of biotin
- Sweet potato: ½ cup of sweet potato contain 2.4 micrograms of biotin
- Mushrooms: 1 cup of mushrooms contains 5.6 micrograms of biotin
Now you know everything about biotin supplements. Biotin supplements can be extremely beneficial for you if you are looking to enhance the growth and strength of your hair. It can help you achieve your hair goals and can be very easy to take.
And if you are looking for the best biotin supplement to aid your hair health then you will not go wrong with Plix Life’s Flaunt Your Hair – World’s First Biotin Effervescent With 500,000 mcg Sesbania (Natural Biotin). It is a vegan formula that comes in a delectable orange flavour to ensure you enjoy the hair of your dreams.
Plix Life’s biotin formula is made with the goodness of 50,0000 Mcg Sesbania, Amino Acids, 20,000 Mcg Bamboo Shoot Extract, and Selenium, Plix Life’s Flaunt Your Hair is the world’s first Biotin Effervescent. It is recommended to take 1-2 tablets every day and you will notice the difference in just one month.
1. Is it good to take biotin supplements?
Yes, taking a biotin supplement is not harmful. It keeps your energy levels high and aids the health of your hair, liver, nervous system, eyes, and more. On average, an adult needs about 30 micrograms of biotin every day. So, taking supplements can help fulfil the requirement.
2. Is it okay to take multivitamins with biotin?
Yes, you can take biotin with your multivitamins. However, if you are taking any prescription medication then talk to your doctor first before including biotin supplements in your everyday life.
3. Does biotin make skin glow?
Yes, biotin can make your skin glow because of the fatty acids it produces. This makes your skin feel more hydrated and moisturized and in turn, makes your skin glow.
4. When will my hair start to grow after taking biotin?
You will notice hair growth after the third month of taking the biotin supplements.
5. Can biotin be harmful?
Some biotin supplements contain more than 2,500 micrograms of biotin or more in one dosage. This is extremely higher than the recommended dosage. In such cases, biotin can become harmful where you may suffer an upset stomach, get skin rashes, or more. However, it is never life-threatening and no studies have found any other dangers associated with biotin.