Why we need Vitamin C? Health Benefits of Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that has numerous health benefits. It is probably one of the most effective nutrients, which facilitates the proper functioning of a wide range of processes within the body. To start with, this versatile nutrient is water-soluble in nature which means it is not stored in the body for long and therefore needs to be replenished regularly. So even if you have it in excess, no need to worry as it will be drained out of your body in the form of urine. Vitamin C helps in protein synthesis that binds invading microbes to neutralise them. As a potent antioxidant, it helps in fighting free radicals produced by cells while getting rid of harmful pathogens. Too much accumulation of free radicals leads to a state of oxidative stress that has been linked to many chronic diseases. Consuming more Vitamin C has been regarded as the ideal nutrition marker for overall health. It reduces inflammation in the body, helps in better iron absorption, aids in the production of collagen, reduces blood pressure, lowers heart-related risks, improves eye function, has been tested to be useful for cancer treatment, is super effective in healing cuts and bruises and plays a vital role in improving and strengthening your immune system.
How much vitamin c is enough?
The daily recommended dosage for a healthy adult is 65-90 mg per day, which can safely go up to 500 mg for optimal absorption. This can be achieved by eating five servings of various fruits and vegetables daily. But for smokers, breastfeeding women and people suffering from cold and flu, a little more than 1000 mg is needed, which is equivalent to almost nine servings of fruits and vegetables per day. Statistically, only 10-20% of adults get the recommended nine servings of fresh fruits and vegetables daily. In most cases, it’s just not practical to keep up with the servings needed and be consistent with it. Therefore, taking Vitamin C tablets is a safer, easier and effective way to boost your immunity. However, it is important to note that the Upper Limit for Vitamin C is 2000 mg. Consuming more than this can lead to diarrhoea and abdominal cramps. You can include both fresh fruits and supplements into your diet for a more balanced approach.
Natural Sources of Vitamin C
While a glass of fresh orange juice is enough to meet your daily requirement of Vitamin C. Here is the list of added fruits and vegetables that can help you reach 500 mg/day
The human body cannot produce or store Vitamin C, therefore is it to be consumed regularly in sufficient amounts. Deficiency can often lead to bleeding gums, poor wound healing, frequent bruising and infections, anaemia and most commonly scurvy.
- Red pepper, 1/2 cup, 95mg
- Broccoli, cooked, 1 cup: 74mg
- Kiwi, 1 medium: 70mg
- Guava, 1, medium: 126 mg
- Orange juice, 1 cup: 97mg
- Cantaloupe, 1 cup (8 ounces): 59mg
- Red cabbage, 1/2 cup: 40mg
- Green pepper, 1/2 cup, 60mg
- Tomato juice, 1 cup: 45mg
Vitamin C functions that strengthen Immunity
By now you must have gotten a fair idea about how Vitamin C is a key nutrient that keeps your immune system strong and well-functioning. Let’s get a better understanding of the many ways it helps build our immunity
- Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid performs critical biochemical actions in the body like growth and repair of connective tissues, biosynthesis of collagen, protein metabolism, healing of cuts and wounds and promotes healthy ageing.
- Vitamin C boosts the function of phagocytes, a kind of white blood cell ‘swallows’ harmful bacteria and other particles. They surround the invading pathogen and then digest and neutralize them enzymatically.
- It also promotes the growth and spread of lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell whose function is to improve the circulation of antibodies – a kind of protein that binds with the invading microbes to neutralise them. Therefore, Vitamin C helps to keep these important cells viable and alive.
- Vitamin C increases the production of Cytokins, a kind of communication protein released by white blood cells that helps in transmitting information, thereby aiding immune response.
- Vitamin C supports the cellular immune response. There are mainly two ways by which the body responds to a pathogen: antibody immunity and cellular immunity. Vitamin C helps in both by producing more antibodies and neutralizing oxidative stress caused by cells while fighting off pathogens.
Other Health Benefits of Vitamin C
Reduces the risk of cancer
Vitamin C may help in preventing and delaying the development of cancerous cells by limiting the damaging effect of free radicals through its antioxidant activity.
Helps in better iron absorption
Vitamin C supplements have been seen to improve the absorption of iron from the diet. It assists in converting iron that is poorly absorbed, especially plant-based irons into a form that is easier to absorb. Factually speaking, 100 mg of Vitamin C can improve iron absorption by 67%.
May reduce blood uric acid levels
Uric acid is a waste produced by the body. Gout is the name of the disease caused by it which involves inflammation of joints. This happens when there is too much accumulation of uric acid in the blood. Several studies have shown a strong link between Vitamin C intake and reduced uric acid levels. However, further studies are still going on.
Protects memory and aids thinking
Oxidative stress near the brain, spine and nerves has been shown to increase the risk of dementia (poor memory and thinking). Antioxidant properties of Vitamin C have proven to improve the ability to think and remember even at low levels. Furthermore, high intake of Vitamin C either in dietary form or supplements has been shown to have a protective effect on thinking and memory.
Why go for PLIX Immune Booster?
Sipping on PLIX Vitamin C Immune Booster is one of the most convenient and effective ways to get all the goodness of Vitamin C in your system. Our simple drop and fizz technique is formulated to dissolve quickly in cold water, saving you the hassle of swallowing it down your throat. The refreshing orange taste will leave you activated and energized for hours.
- 1000 mg of Vitamin C per tablet
- Infused with bioflavonoids to aid in better absorption
- Prevents cold, flu and other infections
- Free of sugar and artificial flavours
- Immunity and energy booster
You can also buy our Plant-based protein powder from Amazon here: